COMMUNITY MEDICINE with Recent Advances 4th Edition 2016 (Paperback) by AH Suryakantha
Two Colour with Colour Plates/ Soft Cover/ 4/e, 2017/ 1078 Pages/ 8.5" x 11"/ (A)
- Thoroughly revised and updated with recent advances.
- Chapter on Communicable Diseases, now contains revised case definitions of tuberculosis and their treatment outcomes; benefits of directly observed treatment short-course (DOTS); Revised National Tuberculosis Control Program (RNTCP) laboratory network; childhood tuberculosis; global multidrug-resistant tuberculosis (MDR-TB) crisis; antiretroviral treatment in HIV; revised WHO clinical staging of HIV disease in infants and children; cotrimoxazole prophylaxis for HIV-related infections among children, adolescents and adults; prevention of parent-to-child transmission of HIV; revised guidelines for postexposure prophylaxis for HIV; epidemiology of hepatitis C; commitment of measles elimination by 2020; maternal and neonatal tetanus elimination; diagnosis and treatment of malaria; malaria control strategies; malaria vaccine; dengue vaccine; revised National and Indian Academy of Pediatrics (IAP) immunization schedule.
- Chapter on Preventive Obstetrics and Pediatrics, now contains revised guidelines on antenatal care; National Health Mission with all its components such as Reproductive, Maternal, Newborn, Child Health and Adolescent (RMNCH+A) strategy India, Newborn Action Plan, Janani Suraksha Yojana (JSY), Janani Shishu Suraksha Karyakram (JSSK), Navajatha Shishu Suraksha Karyakram, Rashtriya Bal Swasthya Karyakram, Rashtriya Kishor Swasthya Karyakram, Rogi Kalyan Samiti, National Rural Health Mission (NRHM) and new scheme of National Urban Health Mission.
- Other minor topics are National Family Planning Indemnity Scheme and Preconception and Prenatal Diagnostic Technique Act, 1994.
- Millennium development goals (MDGs) and sustainable development goals for 2015–2030 have been described in detail.
- Chapter on National Health Programs now includes control programs on fluorosis, viral hepatitis, health care of the elderly and Global Polio Eradication Initiative and End Game Strategic Plan.
- The National AIDS Control Program, Tobacco Control Program and guidelines for the control of iron deficiency anemia have been revised.
- Some topics of the National Programs have been integrated with the respective chapters to avoid fragmentation and enhance learning.
- The international public health problems, such as middle-east respiratory syndrome, Ebola virus disease and Zika disease, have been added to the chapter on Emerging Diseases.
- Other small topics incorporated are e-toilet, Mission Indradhanush, national iron plus initiative, demographics of India, adverse events following immunization, modified BG Prasad’s classification of socioeconomic status and many others.
- Student-friendly and teacher-friendly book.
- Comprehensively covers the syllabus as recommended by the university.
- Cover page reminds some of the great stalwarts, who have contributed to the public health in terms of lives that can be saved.
- Exquisite charts, diagrams and pictures with lucid language make the reading a pleasurable experience.
- Useful for public health professionals and policy-makers.
- Gives the researchers a thought to work in terms of preventing the disease and promoting the health, thus serving the community.